Breaking News
  • April 22Jacket Journal Receives First Place in the State of Ohio from the Ohio Scholastic Media Association
The Student News Site of Mount Vernon High School

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Head Coach Matt McManaway Leads College Volleyball Team Back to Roots at Energy Fieldhouse

Ashton Veleno
Matt McManaway returns to his roots

Head Coach Matt McManaway orchestrated a return to his alma mater, Mount Vernon, at Energy Fieldhouse. Fresh off a match against the OSU Buckeyes and gearing up for a match against Purdue on Saturday, Mount Vernon proved to be the perfect training ground for the Crusaders. The sea of red jerseys replaced the usual orange as McManaway guided his Division II college volleyball team through a practice session and will come back tomorrow.

For McManaway, this return to his volleyball roots holds sentimental value, having graduated from Mount Vernon in 2014 and being a part of NGU’s inaugural volleyball signing class.

Transitioning from a pivotal role as an assistant coach in 2019 to now leading the Crusaders for the past two years, McManaway is instilling high expectations in his squad.“ We were projected as the number one team in our conference,’ said McManaway.

Building on the legacy of being the conference and tournament champions in 2022, where they defeated Princeton in the first round, the Crusaders would like to replicate that success this year. McManaway commends his team’s exceptional qualities, stating, ‘This group is exceptional. They not only possess the skills to execute my directives flawlessly but also exhibit a remarkable ability to self-manage. Their competitiveness is unparalleled.’

McManaway’s return to Mount Vernon not only symbolizes a homecoming but also marks a pivotal moment in the journey of a coach who has come full circle, bringing his team back to where it all began.