Breaking News
  • April 22Jacket Journal Receives First Place in the State of Ohio from the Ohio Scholastic Media Association
The Student News Site of Mount Vernon High School

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Mount Vernon Boys Basketball Triumphs in Season Opener with a 58-32 Victory Over Centerburg

Ashton Veleno
Jack Marhefka goes up for a jelly

Mount Vernon’s boys basketball team kicked off the 2023 season on a high note with a convincing 58-32 win over the Centerburg Trojans. .

Adding to the intensity of the matchup was the unique storyline of senior Jack Marhefka, who found himself in a compelling position. Marhefka was not only a key player for Mount Vernon but also faced the challenge of competing against his own father, who is the head coach for the Centerburg Trojans

From the opening tip-off, Mount Vernon displayed a cohesive and strategic performance, dominating both ends of the court. The team’s defense was particularly noteworthy, holding the Trojans to a mere 32 points throughout the game.

The win was a statement of the team’s growth, resilience, and their ability to focus amidst distractions.

We will update the stats and post the interview with Marhefka, Isaiah Columber and Quentin Rowland on Monday when the students have time to edit the video.