Ben Bridges make it an official as he becomes the newest member of Herd.

2 percent, the percentage of athletes that get the opportunity to play their sport at the Division one level. Mount Vernon High School senior Ben Bridges has joined that 2 percent as he commits to playing Division one college golf at Marshall University; Mount Vernon golf’s first Division 1 signee since 2011

Ben Bridges’ career at Mount Vernon was nothing short of spectacular. In his 4 years of varsity golf, he notched an OCC second-team award, 3 OCC first-team awards, OCC Player of the year, 2 Central District Honorable mentions, 1 1st team all central district, 2-time district qualifier, 1-time state qualifier, and a 9th place finish at the OHSAA state tournament at OSU Scarlet in route to Ben becoming an All-Ohioan, and a tournament career low round of 67. In addition to Ben’s high school accomplishments, he was able to post a score of 60(-12) at Chapel Hill Golf Course during his senior year. 

Ben’s accomplishments did not come without hard work and dedication. Throughout his 4 years, his 18-hole average score went down consistently, with his senior season average being 74. The summer before Ben’s senior year, he played 28 tournament rounds, more than the tournaments played in a high school season. Head coach Anthony Savage has high praise for Ben’s hard work and love for the game of golf, “Ben loves golf as much as anyone I’ve ever met in a long time. In fact, I think he even played the Sunday and Monday after the state tournament when our season was done!” 

For Ben, going to Marshall for golf is more than just a chance to play the sport he loves at a higher level. It is a testament to his perseverance and dedication to working hard and improving every chance he gets. Coach Savage is confident that Ben’s success will continue at Marshall, “His game is only going to keep getting better, as he is somewhat of a late bloomer in terms of recruiting. I believe he will have an impactful career at Marshall.”

Ben will be remembered as one of the best golfers to come out of Mount Vernon, Ben says thank you to Mount Vernon golf,  “I appreciate Mount Vernon for everything it has done for me throughout my high school golf career.”