Breaking News
  • June 3Marissa Rutter finishes 8th in the STATE
The Student News Site of Mount Vernon High School

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Transforming Lives: The Diverse Benefits of Joining Martial Arts

People around the world join martial arts for various reasons. Some seek to learn self-defense, while others join for fun, health benefits, or the opportunity to meet new people. Take Miss Hall, for example. She grew up watching her father teach Taekwondo, which inspired her to follow in his footsteps. Similarly, Mr. Huerte was introduced to martial arts by a friend and discovered a passion for self-defense. Miss Snow, influenced by her father’s lifelong dedication to martial arts, aspired to be as strong and cool as he was. These individuals were motivated by role models or trusted acquaintances.

Martial arts have profoundly impacted their lives, leading to significant personal realizations. For Mr. Huerte, martial arts cultivated a newfound appreciation for physical fitness. He reflects, “I’ve gained an appreciation for physical fitness.” The training made him realize the importance of staying fit. Miss Hall found that martial arts built her resilience and heightened her awareness, which is crucial for her job and personal safety. Miss Snow’s training toughened her up, preparing her for various challenges. Each of them experienced life changes, illustrating the power of martial arts.

Others have also noticed these changes. Miss Snow’s physical health, strength, and flexibility have noticeably improved. People comment on Miss Hall’s quick reflexes and agility. Although Mr. Huerte is less concerned with others’ perceptions, he has observed a reduction in his social anxiety. These changes are rewarding and affirm the effort they’ve invested in their martial arts practice.

Mentally and physically, the benefits are clear. Miss Snow reports, “I’m more disciplined and stronger in all aspects.” She feels like a better version of herself. Miss Hall is more flexible, faster, and disciplined.

Mr. Huerte has gained confidence both mentally and physically. These changes extend beyond physical and mental improvements to impact their daily actions.