Breaking News
  • June 3Marissa Rutter finishes 8th in the STATE
The Student News Site of Mount Vernon High School

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Jessica Mather’s Students Develop Social Skills Through Unique Six-Week Program at Shane Center for Therapeutic Horsemanship

Hannah Snow
Students participate at the Shane Center for Therapeutic Horsemanship

Students in Jessica Mather’s class recently had an enriching experience outside their regular classroom at the Shane Center for Therapeutic Horsemanship, a notable non-profit in Knox County. 

The students experienced activities aimed at developing social skills through the bond between humans and horses. “ I like to see and work with the horses,” said student Mary.

Under the guidance of instructors, students learned basic horse care such as grooming and feeding, alongside interactive games that fostered learning and enjoyment. Students also learned basic hand motions to guide the movement of the horses.

Jessica Mather expressed, “We have learned basic horse grooming, feeding and interactions. The final week we will hopefully get to ride the horses.” This educational experience involved interactions with a variety of equines, including 14 horses and one donkey.

Ciarra, one of the students, cherished the experience, particularly the opportunity to play with the large horse named Stevie.

The students will be attending the Shane Center for Therapeutic Horsemanship for six weeks. The final week the students will be able to ride the horses.