Breaking News
  • June 3Marissa Rutter finishes 8th in the STATE
The Student News Site of Mount Vernon High School

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Empowering Passion: Lucy Peterson’s Journey of Inspiration

Cole Wilson
Lucey Peterson selected as student of the month

As the students approached their final assignment, they were tasked with embarking on a passion project—an endeavor fueled by self-motivation, distinct from our prior coursework. This project serves as a testament to their initiative, creativity, and perseverance, reflecting their personal values and interests.

It’s not just an assignment; it’s a manifestation of their  passions, igniting inspiration and enthusiasm. Among these passionate endeavors, Senior Lucy Peterson shines as a beacon of inspiration at our school, captivating us with her extraordinary passion project.

Lucy seized this opportunity to conduct interviews with her friends who have Down Syndrome, delving into their experiences and perspectives. She shared, “I wanted my high school friends to meet my other friends.”

Over the past four years, Lucy has continually pushed boundaries. She not only excels as a member of the soccer team and our school staff but also earned a remarkable opportunity to play abroad with her soccer team—an impressive testament to her dedication and leadership.

“I had so much fun asking my friends questions,” said Peterson. Within the video, you will see Lucy starting with her news station – Passion News. Lucy sets up her video by explaining what the passion project is and the looks of her new station. Each segment involved one of Lucy’s friends and their thoughts about the world and the positives of having Downs Syndrome.

As Lucy walked into our room today, her enthusiasm was contagious. The smile on her face was noticeable to everyone. She is proud of her work and so are we. The class sat in silence as we premiered her video to our news class. Lucy quickly asked if we liked the video and the entire class not only expressed their delight but their smiles matched Lucy’s. 

This is one reason why we are honored to bring back the Jacket Journal. It is a time to tell stories and share experiences of all of the students of Mount Vernon High School.

.