Breaking News
  • April 22Jacket Journal Receives First Place in the State of Ohio from the Ohio Scholastic Media Association
The Student News Site of Mount Vernon High School

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Intergenerational Bonding and Cultural Enrichment: Mount Vernon City Schools Hosts Senior Citizen Luncheon

Jack Marhefka
Seniors Citizens were treated a lunch served by the NHS students.

In a heartwarming display of community engagement, Mount Vernon City Schools recently organized a special senior citizen lunch, bringing together generations for an afternoon of connection and enrichment. The event, held at the school premises, saw active participation from National Honor Society members who not only served the meals but also sat down with the senior citizens to share conversation and camaraderie.

The event, designed to foster intergenerational relationships, provided an opportunity for students to connect with and serve the elder members of the community. The presence of National Honor Society members in the serving role not only added a touch of formality but also showcased the commitment of the students to community service.

Following the delightful lunch, attendees were treated to a special preview of “12 Angry Men,” a play scheduled for performance later in the week on Friday and Saturday.  The event aimed to not only entertain but also to offer a sneak peek into the artistic talents of the students. The attendees also learned how morning announcements worked at Columbia Elementary as the students created a video for all to watch. The event was concluded with elementary students sharing their writing about Veterans Day.

Such initiatives play a crucial role in building a sense of community within educational institutions. By bridging the gap between generations, Mount Vernon City Schools not only showcased the dedication of its students to service but also contributed to the overall well-being of the local community. The event serves as a reminder of the positive impact that schools can have beyond the classroom, fostering connections that enrich the lives of both students and senior citizens alike.