Breaking News
  • April 22Jacket Journal Receives First Place in the State of Ohio from the Ohio Scholastic Media Association
The Student News Site of Mount Vernon High School

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Celebrating Excellence: Three Students Qualify as National Merit Semifinalists

Tori Burdette
Hannah Hofferberth, Ian Hawthorne, and Matteo Pechon-Eklins awarded National Merit Honors Photo by Hannah Snow

In the world of academics, there are achievements that stand out, and then there are those that leave an indelible mark on a student’s journey. Qualifying as a National Merit Semifinalist is one such pinnacle of success. Mount Vernon High School proudly celebrates the remarkable accomplishments of three outstanding students who have earned this prestigious distinction. Their hard work and dedication  have set them on a path to a bright future and serve as an inspiration to students nationwide.

The National Merit Scholarship Program is a highly competitive scholarship competition in the United States that recognizes and rewards exceptional academic performance and potential. Each year, approximately 1.5 million high school juniors take the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT), and from this pool of talented students, only about 15,000 are selected as National Merit Semifinalists. 

Meet the Scholars

Now, let’s meet the three exceptional students who have earned the title of National Merit Scholar:

• Hannah Hofferberth:  Hannah’s future aspirations include attending college and majoring in computer science.
  • Matteo Pechon-Elkins:. Matteo plans to attend college and major in physics or political science.
  • Ian Hawthorne:  Ian plans to attend college and major in political science or history.