Breaking News
  • April 22Jacket Journal Receives First Place in the State of Ohio from the Ohio Scholastic Media Association
The Student News Site of Mount Vernon High School

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

High School Heroes Unite: Students Organize Lifesaving Blood Drive

MVHS announces their blood drive

September 13th, the Mount Vernon Key Club hosted another successful blood drive partnering with the American Red Cross. 

They were able to gather 28 pints of viable blood, and had 36 students sign up to donate. Club advisor, Christine Keaton commends club president Lilly Percy and her team and the effort they’ve put into this project.

“What’s sort of crazy is that Lilly and her team were able to get these donors signed up in a week.” 

Percy was also proud of the outcome of this blood drive considering the short amount of prep time. One of the biggest changes that led to an average turnout despite such a short time to find people willing to donate was the methods of finding possible donors. 

Percy says, “Hive sign ups really help. We’re able to be a lot more personal.” Percy thinks that after talking with fellow Key Club members, this process will become even more effective. 

If you or someone you know is interested in donating blood, Key Club will be hosting another drive on Friday, November 17th in the high school theater. The drive will be open to both current high school students and community members. 

You can sign up at www.redcrossblood.org by entering sponsor code MVHS, then selecting the November 17th blood drive.