Breaking News
  • June 3Marissa Rutter finishes 8th in the STATE
The Student News Site of Mount Vernon High School

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Jacket Journal

Mount Vernon High School Achieves Remarkable Success with Recent Blood Drive

Hannah Snow
MVHS sets remarkable records

On November 17th, the Mount Vernon Key Club played host to the American Red Cross for a noteworthy blood drive. The event drew participation from 31 donors, resulting in the collection of a commendable 23 pints of blood for the Knox County Red Cross.

Remarkably, Mount Vernon witnessed a surge in first-time donors, constituting an impressive 47% of the total donor count. Reflecting on the experience, senior Kyla Ferris-Dunham expressed, “My overall experience donating blood through the school’s blood drive was great. The Red Cross staff members were amazing.”

The entire process unfolded in the theater, where students, teachers, and community members navigated the sign-in procedure guided by Key Club members. Following registration, donors were ushered through the donation process by the proficient American Red Cross staff.

Post-donation, participants were treated to snacks and refreshments to aid in their recovery. The American Red Cross sweetened the deal by offering incentives such as t-shirts or gift cards, with a festive touch of Elf socks in the spirit of the holiday season.

Junior Matilyn Workman shared her positive experience, stating, “My overall experience was really great! The workers were very kind and kept checking up on me throughout the whole experience.”

For those intrigued by blood donation, the Key Club has exciting plans for another drive on December 29th at the Grand Hotel. Open to both high school students and community members, you can secure your spot by signing up at www.redcrossblood.org. Enter sponsor code MVHS and select the December 29th blood drive to be a part of this impactful initiative.